Click to Home
Go To Search
Home
PrintEmailContact Us
Follow UsFacebookTwitterRSS
DepartmentsCommunityBusinessGovernmentPublic SafetyCity Connection
Historical Sites
Point Richmond
Point Richmond was one of the first communities built in the City. Residents and tourist alike enjoy the Victorian style of the area while dining, shopping, and playing!

Miller Knox Park is just through the tunnel - a haven for picnicking and bayside trails. Festivals, summer concerts and art galleries attract tourists and locals alike.
Point Richmond (photo courtesy of Richmond Magazine and Richmond Public Library)
Winehaven (photo courtesy of Richmond Magazine and Richmond Public Library) Winehaven
Winehaven was the largest winery for 12 years in the early 190's until the Prohibition forced the winery to close in 1919.

In 1941, the U.S. Navy purchased the 412 acres of Point Molate where the winery used to be. Point Molate served as a fuel depot during World War II until it was decommissioned in 1955.
Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant
Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant was built in 1930 and designed by Albert Kahn. It is nearly 500,000 square feet. During World War II, military combat vehicles received final processing before they were transported to the war area. After the war the Plant produced over a million cars - the last one in February 1955. The Plant closed that year, unable to meet production demands. Sustaining some damage in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, the Ford Plant (now called Ford Point) has been rehabilitated and is 90% occupied with office, retail, restaurant, industrial / research, and development spaces and the Rosie the Riveter Visitor Center.
Photo courtesy of Richmond Magazine and Richmond Public Library
Photo courtesy of Richmond Magazine and Richmond Public Library East Brother Lighthouse
East Brother Lighthouse is the oldest of the three remaining wood frame lighthouses on the Pacific Coast. Construction of the lighthouse began in 1873 with the whistle sounding in May of 1874.

The U.S. Coast Guard took over the lighthouse in 1939. 30 years later, in June 1969 the installation of automated light and sound was completed.
Alvarado Park
Alvarado Park has long been a favorite picnic spot in Richmond. The original facilities at Alvarado Park included an open-air pavilion and dance hall (later converted to a popular roller rink). These are now gone; what remains is the extensive stone work, including stone walls, stone light standards, and a beautiful stone arch bridge across Wildcat Creek. Because of the unique history and depression era WPA stone work, Alvarado Park is included in the National Register of Historic Places. Alvarado was a city park until it was transferred to the East Bay Regional Park district to become part of Wildcat Canyon Regional Park.
Alvarado Park (photo courtesy of Richmond Magazine and Richmond Public Library)


450 Civic Center Plaza
Richmond, CA 94804
Directions | Phone Numbers
Home Contact Us Site Map Accessibility Copyright Notice Using Renewable Energy Powered by CivicPlus Google Translate Translate Page
The City of Pride and Purpose - Richmond