Bulky Items & On-Call Cleanups
Waste Reduction Resources
Before disposing of materials, view the Contra Costa County Reuse and Recycling Guide
to find out more about organizations that may accept your items for reuse or recycling.
Bulky items may be dropped off at the Golden Bear Transfer Station
in Richmond for a fee. Call the Station at 510-236-8451 for more information. Bulky items may also be picked up by the Richmond Sanitary Service for a fee. Call them at 510-262-7100 to schedule a pickup or for more information.
Examples of Bulky Items
- Bathtubs / Toilets
- Desks / Dressers / Tables
- Mattresses / Box springs
- Washers / Dryers
- Water heaters
Richmond residents are allowed two free on-call cleanups per year for extra bags of garbage. Collection services are provided by Richmond Sanitary Service and occur on regular garbage pickup days.
Guidelines for Your On-Call Cleanup Service
Items That Will Not be Picked Up
- Keep the load limited to fifteen 30-35 gallon bags (2 cubic yards), each under 40 pounds. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in an extra charge.
- Ensure there are no large or bulky items in the load.
- Place jagged or sharp objects in a separate bag labeled "Handle with Care."
- Use biodegradable compostable bags If you have any green waste.
For More Information
- Boxed / bundled debris
- Car parts
- Cement, rocks, dirt
Call the Richmond Sanitary Service at 510-262-7100 to schedule your on-call cleanup or for more information. Your on-call cleanup must be scheduled at least one week in advance.