For Businesses Discharging Industrial Waste Water/Production/Process Wastewaters other than One Time Dischargers
- Complete all applicable sections of the Initial Permit Application Form.
- Fax (510-307-8116) or mail (Pretreatment Program, 450 Civic Center Plaza., Richmond) a signed copy to this office. The Industrial Discharge Permit will be mailed within five working days after the inspection of the site.
- Please call (510) 412-2009 at least 30 days prior to the first discharge (weekdays only between the hours of 0700 to 1530) to schedule an on site inspection, to verify the permit discharge location, wastewater generating processes.
- Keep a copy of the application, and permit on site, for presentation to any applicable federal, state or city representative. This permit states the particular terms of discharge by site.
- The annual Industrial Discharge Permit fee will be itemized on the property owner’s annual tax bill. Contractors or subcontractors will have to arrange payment with the property owner. Alternative payment arrangements can be made with this office.
All fees are in the master fee schedule
posted on the City's website or available from the City Clerk's Office.
For One Time Dischargers
- Complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 11, 16, 17, and 18 of the Initial Permit Application Form.
- Fax or mail a signed copy to this office.
- Please call (510) 412-2009 at least one week prior to the first discharge (weekdays only) to schedule an on site inspection, and to verify a discharge location to the sanitary sewer.
- No settleable solids can be discharged to the sanitary sewer.
- If the site is a brownfield or industrial, pre-discharge testing of the estate will be required. Sampling must be conducted with City Industrial Waste Inspectors present. Each sample will be sealed, provided with a field identification number, and the event documented with a chain of custody.
- Currently, a one time discharger permit is required for discharges up to 60,000 gallons sewered for a 90 day duration. Payment must be received before discharge as stated in the Master Fee Schedule. A receipt will be provided when the fee is paid. If the discharge duration is greater than 90 days or the discharge quantity more than 60,000 gallons the annual Industrial Discharge Permit fee will apply.
- Keep a copy of the application (it is your permit), and permit fee receipt available at the construction site, for presentation to any applicable federal, state or city representative.
Additionally, the following stipulation applies: If the duration of the job and the daily amount of the water discharged exceeds the original estimate, it's your responsibility to notify this office.
For additional information about requirements for discharge to the sanitary sewer see a sample permit
or the Richmond Municipal Code
. Please call 510-412-2009 for e-mail if you need more information.
Additionally, the following web sites may have applicable information:
- For the Richmond Municipal code for all wastewater discharge matters:
- For industries captured by federal categorical regulations: