Accounts Payable

The primary purpose of the Accounts Payable Division is to ensure the timely and accurate payment of business transactions for the City of Richmond. The Accounts Payable Division is responsible for invoice processing, vendor payments and customer refunds, as well as State reporting of Diesel Fuel Taxes, Sales and Use Taxes, and 1099 reporting.

Standard City payment terms are net 30 days.  

Accounts Payable disburses payments weekly.  The City Department acquiring the goods or services must initially authorize payment of all invoices.  AP processes invoices for payment within 10 business days of receiving payment approval from the initiating department.  In order to improve the payment processing time to our valued vendors, it is imperative to follow the terms and conditions put forth by the Purchasing Division, as well as the Accounts Payable Division.

As the payer of City obligations, it is our goal to make payments to vendors in a timely and efficient manner.

The City pays by invoice, not by statement.  All vendors doing business with the City of Richmond are required to forward invoices* to the following address:

                                                           Finance Department / Accounts Payable
                                                                             City of Richmond
                                                                         450 Civic Center Plaza
                                                                               P.O. Box 4046
                                                                       Richmond, CA 94804-0046

* Purchase orders issued on behalf of the City of Richmond as Successor Agency to the Richmond Community Redevelopment Agency are issued with instructions for the vendor to send their invoices directly to the Agency.

Payment Status
Each City department has access to vendor payment history and the ability to give vendors payment status on invoices.  It is recommended that vendors contact the initiating department for follow up on outstanding invoices before contacting Accounts Payable. 

Lost Check
All payments are mailed via the United States Postal Service.  If a City issued check is lost, stolen or damaged, a replacement check can be issued by request.

For Accounts Payable questions, please contact Accounts Payable.