Richmond's Food Ware Ordinance
Food Ware Ordinance
NEW Addition Effective December 15, 2018:
- Food Providers, Retail Establishments, and Transient Lodging Establishments (ex: hotels, motels) cannot use, sell or distribute plastic straws and stirrers.
- Food Providers can provided non-plastic alternative straws and stirrers to customer upon request only.
- All Food Providers using disposable food ware to provide prepared food to customers must use disposable food ware that is either recyclable or compostable. Reusable food ware is encouraged when possible.
- Retail Establishments (ex: grocery stores, hardware stores, markets, etc) cannot sell or rent products comprised entirely or primarily of polystyrene foam (Styrofoam).
- Food Providers must use disposable food ware (ex: to-go containers, cups, bowls, plates, etc) that is recyclable or compostable. Reusable food ware encouraged when possible.
- A Food Provider (ex: cafes, restaurants, food trucks, etc) may charge a "take out fee" to customers to cover the cost difference.
Litter such as straws, utensils, and cups, that are not reusable or fiber-compostable create tons of avoidable trash. It negatively impacts our natural and marine environment both locally and globally. The ordinance helps keep polystyrene foam and small plastics out of the streets, storm drains, and bodies of water.
Samantha CarrEnvironmental ManagerPhone: (510) 620-5407
Click to sign up for our email listserv for up to date information.
You must confirm your account before you will receive any emails. Please check your email for the confirmation link. If you haven’t received an email shortly, please check your junk or SPAM folder.
City Council Documents
Richmond Municipal Code Food Ware Ordinance
Staff Report from May 15, 2018 City Council Meeting
Coastal Cleanup Day Data from Shimada Friendship Park 2011-2017
- Food Ware Ordinance Guide: English
- Food Ware Ordinance Guide: Spanish
- Straw Distributor List
- Recycle and Compost guides
- Richmond's Revolving Loan Fund
Republic Services is Richmond's solid waste hauler. For questions about what is accepted in the recycling and compost bins or to start composting pick-up services, please contact Republic Services at (510) 262-7100 or visit their website, www.republicservices.com/municipality/wccc-ca.
Richmond’s Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) offers four loan options, from $5,000-$100,000, for the development of new businesses and the expansion of existing business:
- Working capital – for the costs of business operations
- Machinery/equipment – to acquire machinery and equipment
- Fixed assets – for leasehold improvements, renovation, expansion of a structure, or purchase of fixed assets
- Facade improvements
To learn more about Richmond's RLF, visit our Revolving Loan Fund webpage. Download a loan application here.
For more information contact:
Janet Johnson Economic Development Administrator 450 Civic Center Plaza, Third Floor Richmond CA 94804 510-307- 8131 email@example.com
California State Law AB 1884On January 1, 2019, the State of California Assembly Bill 1884 will go into effect banning full-service restaurants from giving out single-use plastic straws to customers unless requested by the customer.
More information about AB 1884 can be found at leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1884
Postcard notices were mailed out to Richmond Business in the beginning of October. Not all businesses that received the postcard will need to comply with the ordinance. Please review the Food Ware Ordinance for further details.
Postcard notices have been sent to businesses listed under the following business license types:
|Airbnb: Vacation Rentals|| Fabricator
|| Meat Market
|Bakery|| Food Truck
|| Mini Mart
|Bars|| Food Vendor
|Bingo Hall|| Gas Station
|| Nonprofit Org
|Bingo/Norg|| Gas/Mini Mart
| Bowling Alley
|| Gift Shop
| Business Services
|| Governmental Agency
|| Grocery Store
| Catering Service
|| Health Food Store
| Catering Truck
|| Specialty Shop
| Coffee Shop
|| Home Based
|| Vending Service
| Department Store
|| Liquor Store
| Donut Shop