Business License Issuing

License Types

There are several different types of business licenses required depending on what type of business you will have. These are in addition to the City of Richmond Business License.

Application Forms
Alcohol Beverage License
Employer Registration
Federal Income Tax
Fictitious Business Name Statement
Health Permit
Sales & Use / Seller’s Permit
State Income Tax
Miscellaneous Resources

Starting January 1, 2022 all businesses in California must comply with California State Bill 1383. This bill requires business to subscribe to recycling and organics services in addition to other requirements. For more information about compliance and to learn if you qualify as a Tier 1 or Tier 2 generator visit RecycleMore’s website, 

All businesses must comply with the City’s Food Ware Ordinance. For more information please visit, or email 

Alcoholic Beverage License

If you want to sell alcoholic beverages from your business, you must obtain an Alcoholic Beverage License. The type of license needed will depend if you sell for on-site or off-site consumption / use. 
Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
1515 Clay St. Room 2208
Oakland, CA 94612 

Employer Registration

If you hire employees, you must register with the State Department within 15 days after your employees are hired. 
Employment Development Department (EDD) 

Federal Income Tax

For information regarding employee withholdings, self-employment tax, sole proprietorship, partnership, and corporation taxes, contact the Internal Revenue Service. 
Internal Revenue Service
1301 Clay St.
Oakland, CA 94612 

Fictitious Business Name Statement

If you will conduct business under a name other than your legal name, you will need to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement with the County Clerk's Office. 
County Clerk's Office 
555 Escobar Street 
Martinez, CA 94553

Health Permit

A health permit is required for businesses that dispense food to the public. The permit must be obtained prior to opening.
County Health Department
2120 Diamond Blvd., Suite #200
Concord, CA 94520

Sales & Use / Seller's Permit

If you will be selling tangible personal property in the State of California you must apply for a Sales & Use Permit. 
Board of Equalization
1515 Clay Street, STE 303
Oakland, CA 94612

State Income Tax / Corporate Income Tax

Every business in the State of California is required to submit an annual tax statement to the Franchise Tax Board. 
Franchise Tax Board (FTB)
1515 Clay St. #305
Oakland, CA 94612

Miscellaneous Resources

Child Care State License – 510-622-2602
Contractors State License Board – 800-321-2752
CC County Business License – 925-957-2890
Exporting – 415-705-2300
Importing – 415-705-4340
Pacific Gas & Electric – 800-743-5000 
Richmond Planning Department – 510-620-6706
Richmond Building Department – 510-620-6868 
Richmond Fire Department – 510-307-8031 
Richmond Police Department (Permits) – 510-620-6675 
Richmond Redevelopment Agency – 510-307-8140
Richmond Chamber of Commerce – 510-234-3512
Small Business Administration – 415-744-1628
Telephone - SBC – 800-310-2355
Water Utility - East Bay MUD – 866-403-2683