What is the Public Housing Program?
Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, elderly residents, and persons with disabilities.
Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. RHA determines your eligibility based on:
- Annual gross income;
- U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status;
- and Whether you qualify as elderly, as a person with a disability, or as a family
If you are eligible, the HA will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. RHA will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project's environment.
Public Housing Developments
RHA owns and manages two developments: Nevin Plaza and Nystrom Village. Both developments are subject to the City of Richmond Smoke-Free Ordinance, prohibiting smoking in multi-unit developments.
Nevin Plaza. This 142-unit high-rise houses senior (62 or older) and disabled households.
Nystrom Village. This 102-unit scattered site development houses families, including seniors and disabled households. Separate wait lists are maintained for each development.
- $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability
- $480 for each dependent
- Some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities.
Based on your application, the HA representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older.
The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:
- 10 percent of monthly income
- 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations)
- A $50 minimum rent set by the HA.
The RHA is responsible for managing and operating its local public housing program.