Police Explorer Program
The Richmond Police Department Explorer Post #110 strives to create interest in law enforcement by exposing youth to the many duties police officers perform while building the self-confidence and character of the Police Explorers. By teaching them new skills and challenging them to overcome obstacles we prepare them for a career in law enforcement and teach them the necessary tools to be successful in any profession they choose.
The purpose of the Police Explorer Program is to provide the young men and women of the community the opportunity to explore their interests and aptitudes in the field of law enforcement by on-the-job exposure. The Police Explorer Post is composed of units assigned to the Patrol Division. The Explorer unit has a command structure that parallels the regular police department chain of command.
To be selected to the Police Explorer Program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- 14-20 years of age
- Be a resident of West Contra Costa County OR attend school in West Contra Costa County
- Possess a High School diploma or GED certificate. If still in High School applicants must maintain a "C" average or better.
- Good physical condition
- Good moral character. Conviction of a felony is disqualifying. A background investigation will be conducted.
- Possess the ability to clearly express thoughts in written and oral form
- Be willing to contribute at least 20 hours a month to the Explorer Program
*When you click the underlined portion above, the form will open in a new tab and will automatically direct you to the city of Richmond home page when you submit. Make sure all information is complete before you submit the form.
Richmond Explorers are required to successfully complete the physical agility test, POST training, written, and practical testing.
Police Explorers at Your Event
We often receive requests for our Explorers to attend and/or assist at public events. Explorer Post 110 stands ready to meet those requests as best we can! Please complete and submit your request form through this link Police Explorer Request Form. Your application should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event so we can consider it and add it to our calendar. Once we receive your submission we will contact you within five business days. Although the department attempts to honor community requests, we cannot grant Explorers for all events.
Please note two important things:
1. RPD Explorers are provided by the City free of charge; however, given that the RPD Explorer Post is a youth volunteer program, if the event is longer than four hours in duration the event host should provide the Explorers with a meal.
2. RPD Explorer Post youth members cannot attend an event without the supervision of a Richmond Police Department Advisor. Depending upon the nature of the event and sponsorship, there may be a charge for the Advisor's time (Advisors are sworn RPD members).
We appreciate your support of the Richmond Police Explorer program.