What Can I Do?

How You Can Help
 Several of the City’s efforts depend on your cooperation and assistance. Here are ways you can help.
  • Do not dump or throw anything into the ditches or the streams. This action is a violation of Richmond City Ordinance 21.35. Evan grass clippings and branches can accumulate and plug channels. A plugged channel cannot carry water. When it rains, the water has to go somewhere. Every piece of trash contributes to flooding.
  • If your property is next to a ditch or a stream, please do your part and keep the banks clear of brush and debris. The City has a stream maintenance program which can help remove major blockages, such as downed trees.
  • If you see dumping or debris in the ditches or the streams, please contact the Public Works Department at 510-307-8091.
  • Always check with the Building Department before you build on, alter, regrade, or fill in your property. A permit may be needed to ensure that projects do not cause problems on other properties.
  • If you see building or filling without a City permit sign posted, contact the Building Department at 510-620-6868.
  • Check out the information on flood-proofing, flood insurance, and flood safety.