Flood Insurance

If You Have Flood Insurance

Some people have flood insurance because it was required by the bank when they got a mortgage or a home improvement loan. Usually these policies just cover the building’s structure and not the contents. During the kind of flooding that happens in Richmond, there is usually more damage to the furniture and contents of a building than there is to its structure. If you are covered, double-check that the building coverage is adequate and that you have contents coverage.

If You Don't Have Flood

Insurance Talk to your insurance agent. Homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover damage from floods. However, because Richmond participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy. This insurance is backed by the Federal government and is available to everyone, even for properties that have already been flooded. Don’t wait for the next flood to buy insurance protection. There is a 30-day waiting period before the National Flood Insurance Program's coverage takes effect. Contact your insurance agent for more information on rates and coverage.


Even if the last flood missed you or you have done some flood-proofing, the next flood could be worse. Flood insurance covers all surface floods.